Longtime Head of 9/11 Health Program Let Go Amid Federal Job Cuts

Medically reviewed by Carmen Pope, BPharm. Last updated on April 3, 2025.

By I. Edwards HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, April 3, 2025 -- The longtime leader of a federal health program for 9/11 survivors and first responders has been fired, worrying many advocates and lawmakers.

The program serves more than 100,000 people.

Dr. John Howard, head of the World Trade Center Health Program, lost his job during a wave of government job cuts ordered by U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

The Trump administration says these cuts are part of efforts to reduce the size of the federal workforce.

The program is run by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), where Howard also served as director.

While the program’s 86 full-time staff were not affected, hundreds of NIOSH employees were let go -- including many doctors and scientists who supported the program for years, The Washington Post reported.

Advocates say these cuts could hurt the program’s ability to care for sick responders and survivors.

“It’s just wrong that we are spending time and energy on this,” Benjamin Chevat, an advocate for 9/11 survivors and first responders who helped create the program, told The Post. “It could have been avoided if they had spent 10 minutes calling Dr. Howard up.”

An HHS spokesperson did not comment directly on Howard’s removal, but said the program’s work will continue.

“HHS’ reorganization will allow the program to better serve these individuals in a more efficient way,” spokesperson Vianca Rodriguez Feliciano said.

Rep. Andrew Garbarino of New York met with White House officials to express concern. “They understand that this is a top priority and are treating it with a sense of urgency,” Garbarino said.

Sens. Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York also expressed their concerns.

“Slashing staff who are essential to the operation of the World Trade Center Health Program will devastate our ability to provide sick responders and survivors with the care they need,” Gillibrand said.

Howard led the program for more than 10 years and was seen by many as the heart of the operation.

He was first appointed to NIOSH in 2002 and helped shape the government’s health response after the 9/11 attacks.

He was reappointed multiple times under both administrations, The Post reported.

“He’s the father of the program,” Don Mihalek, executive vice president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association Foundation, said of Howard.

Mihalek, a former Secret Service agent, has been part of the program since it started.

“My hope is that this was an unforced error, and that on reflection Secretary Kennedy will say, ‘Wait, what did we just do,’ and fix it,” Mihalek said to The Post. Even if it was an accident, he added, “it causes needless drama.”

Earlier this year, the administration reversed a decision to cut the program's funding after backlash from both parties.

Sources

  • The Washington Post, April 2, 2025
  • Disclaimer: Statistical data in medical articles provide general trends and do not pertain to individuals. Individual factors can vary greatly. Always seek personalized medical advice for individual healthcare decisions.

    Source: HealthDay

    Read more

    Disclaimer

    Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Drugslib.com is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Drugslib.com information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Drugslib.com does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Drugslib.com's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Drugslib.com's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners.

    The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Drugslib.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Drugslib.com provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.

    Popular Keywords